The Heat Index

What is hot in Phoenix? Find out right here at The Heat Index, written by me, Heather.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Gas costs $3.09 in the Valley

When I saw on Fox 10 News last night that someone in the Valley of the Sun is selling gas at $3.09/gallon, I couldn't believe it. It is way too early to hike the price so much; the traditional Memorial Day hike that kicks off the summer gas gouging season is over a month away! I am irate about it. The high gas prices are already bringing back bad memories of late last summer, when I commuted daily from North Phoenix to Northeast Mesa before stopping for the evening in South Scottsdale at my boyfriend's place (it was on the way home on the 101) before finally coming back to North Phoenix. I spent hundreds on gas, though I can't remember how much. I think I'm blocking out the dollar amount from my memory to save my sanity.

I don't want to get into another phase like that where I can hardly afford my life because we're paying $3+per gallon in a city (Phoenix) where 30K a year is making good money for the majority. And you have to drive everywhere here because of how the city is laid out. I am already thinking of how to get through a summer of expensive gas prices here in Phoenix. I'd list my ideas, but you probably don't care and they all amount to me being pretty much even cheaper than my father.

So I'm against spending any more on gas than I have to. In othe words, I'm walking to the grocery store and I'm walking to lunch from now on. Okay, we'll see how that lasts once the temperature is over 100 degrees... But for now, I'm about to stay in a lot and walk everywhere else. The city is so spread out and has such horrible public transportation that I'll have to drive certain places like work, to my parents' house and to my boyfriend's place. I'll be a shut-in. I don't care! I'm not paying these gas prices any more than I have to. I've had enough, and it's only beginning.

I guess it's time to save up for that motorcycle I've been wanting. My love affair with the car is OVER! Especially since mine always needs work done on it. New brakes, new belt, oil changes...and that's just what it needs this week. It never ends. My love affair now will be with anything that helps me avoid paying through the nose for gas, so my own two feet are lookin' pretty hot today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home